Thursday, June 05, 2008

Bryan Adams Anthology

On my way home from Three Hills I listened to 33 straight songs by Bryan Adams. Quite a feat, I'd say!

I like Bryan Adams sound. He can write compelling, feel-good music. But you can't trust anything he says, especially if you are female...

Behold, the man who proceeds into every undertaking loins-first... Even as he has grown older, he still desires to be led about by his hormones. Rushdoony's "Revolt Against Maturity" applies here, right across the board. Perhaps this is why he has never learned to write anything in a minor key...

Adams has made his (substantial) living on "last-night-was-the-greatest, Babe!" songs. They are all lies, intended to seduce you, but there is obviously something else going on here. If each of these songs could be divorced from other contexts, they would probably be much easier to accept. I could imagine a married man employing one of these songs for his wife and it would be fitting and appropriate. But I confess, I don't understand how it is possible to write a song for such an occasion and not have it misappropriated by fornicators and adulterers, including (it seems) the author of the song. He writes the song as though it is autobiographical, but he has written so many of these to so many different women...

I suspect that these songs have been great engines for immorality in our culture, and will continue to be. He can't stop this thing he's started... But I do hope that God would save this fellow soon, and cause him to stop putting more of it into the airwaves. His voice needs to join with a congregation of God's people, because it was made for the praise of the Triune God, and it will maintain the desire to be "18 till I die!" until he can leave behind his pursuits of self and pursue Jesus.

No comments: